As soon as we were old enough to drive, we went on our first date to the miniature golf course. While mini golfing, Lauren’s golf club broke. Dan let her borrow his and 12 years later we are still helping each other. We were by each other’s side through college and new careers. We got married in 2006 and started our life together. We chose our community based on its reputation for being safe and family-friendly with access to many great activities. In 2011 our town was awarded one of the “Top 10 Best Towns for Families” in the country by Family Fun Magazine! We have enjoyed building our life together and know the best is yet to come. We are looking forward to raising a family together.
We consider ourselves very fortunate to have been blessed with supportive and loving families. We both had wonderful relationships with our grandparents. We have countless fond memories and stories of great times shared with them. We look forward to our children developing relationships with their grandparents.
Meet Lauren (According to Dan):
Lauren grew up in a small town with her parents and younger brother. Helping others has always been Lauren’s priority. From visiting her grandparents, to helping babysit a friend’s child, Lauren always goes the extra mile to put others first. Her personality, strong work ethic, and unselfishness helped her succeed in her nursing career. Lauren’s warm smile has a way of putting everyone around her at ease.
Meet Dan (According to Lauren):
Dan grew up on a Christmas tree farm with his parents, 2 younger brothers, and a dog named Molly. Growing up on a farm gave Dan a strong work ethic and a love of the outdoors. He graduated from the University of Illinois and started his own landscape business. Everyone I know loves to be around Dan! From grandparents, to babies, to puppies - Dan has a way of making everyone around him smile.
Our Promises to Our Child’s Birth-Family
Our home is not always perfect, but it is truly filled with love. There have been small irritations such as: burnt cookies, dirty dishes left in the sink, our dog eating Lauren’s wedding veil, never-ending construction projects, and we forget to put the recycling out about once a month. There have been more serious days of job stressors, losing family members, and struggles with infertility. Through it all, we have supported each other and our marriage has not only survived, but honestly has gotten stronger through the years. We can honestly say that the good times and laughter far outnumber the bad times and tears. We do not keep secrets, we celebrate each other’s accomplishments, and we stand united in difficult times. We truly believe that everything happens for a reason and that our past has gotten us to right where we need to be for the future. We know that raising a family is a challenging job, but we are ready to be parents. The following is a heartfelt list of our promises and hopes for our future.
· We promise to never forget the gift of parenthood that you have trusted us with.
· We promise to provide our children with a safe and happy home filled with joy and laughter.
· We promise to be open and honest about our children’s adoption journey with our family and friends and most importantly, our children.
· We promise to encourage our children to follow their dreams. We promise to support our children when those dreams do and do not turn out as planned.
· We promise to teach our children that people are more important than things.
· We know that no parent and no child are perfect, but we promise to do our very best.
· We know that there will be difficult days, but we will get through them.
· We know that children are not adopted one day in their lives. We will always recognize that our children are adopted and we will celebrate and support them with that for their entire lives.
· We hope to have years ahead filled with family meals, bedtime stories, game-nights, and vacations.
· We hope to develop a relationship with you built on mutual trust and respect.
Thank you for choosing to learn more about us. We understand that this is an extremely challenging process for you, filled with difficult decisions. We want to provide you with an honest and open picture of who we are, what we enjoy doing, and what your child’s life would be like if you choose us to be parents. We would enjoy the opportunity to meet and get to know you.
We wish you well on your courageous journey,