Your Legal Adoption Rights
You have rights. We respect them.
You have a lot to think about right now. You can rely on The Cradle to take the time to help you understand the legal process and take care of all the legal details for you.
The Cradle has placed children for over 90 years. We pay close attention to the rules and regulations of adoption law and make sure that everyone involved is well-informed, respected and protected. Learn more about father's rights.
If you choose adoption:
- Different states have different laws. We can help you understand the adoption law in your state. To learn more about birthparents’ rights and responsibilities in Illinois, click here.
- You may change your mind at any time during the adoption process up until the legal documents are signed.
- You have full parental rights until the legal documents are signed.
- You may sign legal documents that designate the adoptive family for your child.
- Once the legal documents are signed, your adoption decision is final and permanent.
If you choose to parent:
- You will be treated with respect and dignity.
- Your decision will be supported.
- You will not be pressured nor coerced towards an adoption decision.
- If you have received financial support during your pregnancy, you are under no obligation to place your child or repay the agency.
It's your decision, your time.
You may choose adoption at any age without parental consent. While you don’t need your parents’ permission to make an adoption plan, we encourage your family to be part of your adoption experience, if possible.
We encourage you to take as much time as you need to make a decision. And we invite you to use The Cradle nursery to care for the baby until you are confident in your choice. If you do not live in Illinois, The Cradle has carefuly selected other temporary care resources. Email a counselor to learn more about your options.
How does it work? Learn more about how adoption works